Thursday, May 19

Gospel Doctrine

What do you do about G.D. teachers who teach their own doctrine? In my singles ward, there are about 6 teachers, and two classes each Sunday. One of the teachers goes off on tangents and teaches from books not endorsed by the Church. The worst part about it is the fact that what he likes to teach, has no bearing on the lesson and is based more on his own opinion than on what is outlined in the manual.

When I was a teacher, I had the habit of reading over the lessons before going to class. Mostly because it really makes for a long class when nobody comments or answers questions. I like to know what is going on ahead of time. Anyway, in going to this guys class I was pretty glad I read the lesson, because his class was way off base.

Since this one time in going, I will opt for the opposite class no matter how dull the teacher. But still find myself answering questions from friends who went to various classes he has taught in order to clarify the actual truth versus his stories.

No comments: