Sunday, September 22

Stop being my own worst critic?

In the Disney cartoon Ratatouille; particularly the end where the critic writes his review there is a significant lesson to be learned.
“In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little, yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so.”
I need to read Moroni Chapter 10. Not just the promise, but the rest of the chapter as well. Perfection only comes through Grace. I cannot be perfect in myself, but only in Christ. There is significant wording toward the end where it talks about how to become sanctified (made holy).
I was thinking about it in terms of a super hero. Batman had Robin. Robin wasn’t anything really to write home about, until he became the partner of Batman right? And if Batman, left the picture, Robin would cease to be as significant because he wouldn’t be able to accomplish the same things as he did when he partnered with Batman. I know I am a nerd, but I’ve been dealing with Comic Con stuff lately and it came to mind. Anyway, unless we allow ourselves to be partnered by the Savior, we cannot accomplish those things that are set before us.
Jesus Christ accepted the plan. He volunteered to pay for my sins. He gave no stipulations to that offering. Why is it, I believe in the Atonement, up until it includes me? I can see clearly, that it applies to the sins of others. Why not me? This is the line of thinking I need to purge from my brain.
Also, read about Mary Magdalene-how did the savior react? What did he say to her?
The point being, even the Pharisees and Sadducees didn’t have the ability to “cast the first stone’” because they recognized the sinners in themselves. And when the Savior asked Mary, “Where are thine accusers?” His comments are significant to me as well.
So, I guess I am too hard on myself. I don’t see how I can be… I know better than to make the mistakes that I make, and yet I make them anyway, right?. Anyway, my bishop counseled me to stop thinking about the things I do wrong, and see more of the things I do right. I don’t need to criticize myself. There is no purpose in doing so, except that it fuels the adversary’s goal in discouraging me on my path of progression.
It all seems a bit overwhelming right now. The bishop told me to only look for answers to the question. “what do I need to know, in order to get through today”
So, I think that will be where I start. That and clean my room.

No comments: