Friday, November 5

Studying Isaiah

So, next Sunday (the 14th) I am teaching Gospel Doctrine again. Of course, I get the 'compare to Isaiah' chapter! Normally, what I do when I study for a lesson is read through the chapters first. But I found myself completely lost!
So, I pulled out a pen and paper and started writing all the symbolism down. Its great to study the lesson online cuz all the cross references are just a click away! And suddenly, it all started making sense. Not to mention the doctrine was great.

I find the interesting part of this tiny experience is the fact that the lesson I am to teach is regarding how we study the scriptures and writings of the prophets.

Elder Henry B. Eyring said: “We treasure the word of God not only by reading the words of the scriptures but by studying them. We may be nourished more by pondering a few words, allowing the Holy Ghost to make them treasures to us, than by passing quickly and superficially over whole chapters of scripture” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1997, 115; or Ensign, Nov. 1997, 84).

I think this has to be one of the easiest and quickest lessons I have been taught.

No comments: